Sunday, May 1, 2011

Blog Assignment 14

1. I missed the metaphor of the pencils and computers in John Spencer’s blog post, but once Dr. Strange told us to switch pencils with computers, it made more sense. I did know that there was another meaning to the post, but I don’t know why I didn’t catch the metaphor.

You've Got Mail movie poster

2. I hear a bunch of metaphors in my everyday life. Songs and movies are great ways to hear metaphors, especially for me because there is always something on in the background at my dorm. In the song “Wildflower” by the JaneDear Girls, they sing, “I’m a wildflower growing in the sunshine, soaking up the way of life I was raised in.” Also, in the movie You’ve Got Mail, Joe Fox gives Kathleen Kelly the advice to “go to the mattress.” That meant that she was supposed to fight to keep her business alive. Also, on Easter Sunday, I went to church and the pastor proclaimed that we are all Humpty Dumpty, and delivered a lovely Easter sermon focusing on that metaphor.

3. Some things that we can do as educators to help our students understand and use metaphors are to use them more ourselves, and give assignments like this one where we tell the students to document the metaphors they hear used in their everyday lives.

4. I think people use metaphors to make life and language more interesting, colorful, and thought-provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment