Sunday, April 10, 2011

Special Assignment

Mr. McClung seems like an energetic and positive person, so he likes to reflect that in his teaching and his blog. He is a very dedicated teacher and puts a lot of work into his blog. He is also straightforward about his expectations for his students.

I really liked the rules that Mr. McClung uses for his classroom. As a future teacher, I think it would be great for people to come into class with a positive attitude, because it’s not easy to be excited about learning when you can tell that others don’t want to be there. Also, I like the rules as a student because I learn a lot by other students’ questions. If someone asks a question, I may have been wondering the same thing, so my questions get answered as well. That also goes with the listening part.

Under “Everyone Needs,” the first requirement is a day planner. I suppose the reason for this is so students can learn to be more organized and to try and plan things ahead of time and not procrastinate or forget about things.

I think Mr. McClung’s penalties for being late are very reasonable. Since the homework assignments are to be completed in class, the students shouldn’t have a problem with turning them in. If they don’t, that means they weren’t using class time effectively, so they deserve a drop in the grade. Dr. Strange’s penalties are a little more severe, but to consistently be late with projects, posts, and other assignments is unacceptable.

Mr. McClung’s blog is to keep the information about his classes up-to-date. Also, it is to post about other things that he thinks are interesting. I think it would be nice to have a blog when I am teacher because then my students would always be able to be kept informed and would be able to see any information I post that I may consider to be important for them, or just fun.

One of the links I reviewed was the World War II Propaganda link. It explained what propaganda is and how the Nazi’s used it during World War II. The link contained many other links that went into more detail about Hitler’s propaganda and the war in general. I think this made Mr. McClung’s list because he is a social studies teacher, and this website explained a lot about World War II and went into detail, and it even had a timeline for the whole war and events that happened during it. It is a great website for learning. I also looked at the Plagiarism Checker. This is a really awesome link because it checks your work to see if it is copied from somewhere else. This would be very helpful for students because sometimes they don’t realize that they are plagiarizing, and the penalties are very harsh. It is a great way to prevent students from getting into trouble.

I think Mr. McClung did a good job explaining the Internet safety rules. It’s great that he allows his students to make up names so they are still able to participate in online activities. It is smart to create one e-mail account that only he has access to, so the students so they can use the public websites. He has taken all the necessary precautions and I don’t know of anything that I would want to add or subtract.

I was assigned to post on a video from a talent show. The student’s act was amazing! Then I checked out the rest of the performances, and all of the videos of the others acts were incredible! Every student was very talented. I particularly liked the ones with the students playing the piano because the music was beautiful and flawless. I really enjoyed the one where the student played the Journey song. I love that song and I was singing along with everyone else when I watched it!

Mr. McClung’s blog certainly does seem more advanced. However, he has had years to get it going and add to it whereas this EDM 310 class has only had one semester. If I kept going with my blog, I would like to make it more fun and personal and add more links. It would also be helpful to have a search tool to make it easier to find everything. I would not have found Mr. McClung’s Internet safety rules if I hadn’t typed it into his search bar.

Mr. McClung’s blog is useful to others because it keeps them informed about current events that are going on in the classes, and it has all the information that people need about assignments and when they are due. You can basically find everything you need to know about his classes right on his blog.

I think Mr. McClung’s blog is different because it isn’t just about the students’ posts. It is also about him and staying informed on what’s going on in his classes. There are links to help both students and parents, and it’s a great way for everyone to keep up with Mr. McClung. I think Mr. McClung made it this way so that everyone could easily get to know him his expectations, and so his students could navigate through it to answer any kinds of questions and still find it everything interesting and exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment